1.20.2012

My Silly Mistake

One of the biggest mistakes I've ever made in my life was never putting the effort into my education in highschool. And this is definitely one of my biggest regrets in my life so far.

Teachers and parents have always told us to, "do a few questions for homework" or "study for your exam" and we never listened. We always focused on being the prettiest or the most popular, screwing around the mall during spares or partying every single night while we coud have concentrated more on doing something useful with our time. At one (or more) point(s) in time, some of us walked down the hallways with our noses in the air and looked down upon all the kids who studied while eating lunch alone. Don't lie now, we all know we did it. Really though, that was out of jealousy. We wish we could have been as confident and smart as them. The truth is that beauty and popularity doesn't last forever, no matter what we keep telling ourselves. That's why I'm telling you this now because I was JUST there: There's no harm in making an effort to study and broaden your intelligence. Seriously, it won't kill you to read or study because nobody is going to make fun of you for being smart. Instead, they will respect you.What people will judge you for is being an un-educated freaking dumbass working a minimum wage job ten years from now while everyone else has their Ph.D in psychology.

I guess it takes paying for six hundred dollars for someone to toss you a bunch of assignments to be due the next day, to make you realize how much you should have appreciated those who were always encouraging you to do better. It makes you realize you could have done better.

If I were to go back to highschool right now, I'd get straight A's so fast. But that opportunity is gone and it's just the matter of learning from your own mistakes and making that effort to do better. I just wrote my Anthropology midterm and I'm sure there was sunshine beaming from my behind when I saw my mark. Effort pays off. It's as simple as that.
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself."  -Eleanor Roosevelt
For all the High School (and Jr. High School) kids out there, make your own mistakes but make sure it's not as stupid as mine.

-chantalnguyen

No comments:

Post a Comment